Saturday, December 26, 2015

The Conversion: From Cargo to Camper



First, we insulated the floor of the trailer using liquid nails and reflectix radiant barrier insulation at around 25 dollars a roll. I opted for the reflectix insualtion because of the outstanding reviews on cargo van and rv forums. It seems to provide the best protection against moisture which is crucial when you are camping throughout the 4 seasons. Whenever possible we used salvaged material to stay within the budget. For example, the vinyl wood-look flooring was left over from my aunt's condo renovation. We measured and cut the vinyl with an exacto, layering it over the insulation with a generous coating of flooring adhesive. We used about 4 large tubes for the floor alone. 




Next, we insulated the walls and the door of the cargo trailer using the same reflectix barrier insulation and liquid nails. We also used a staple gun as necessary for added support. Following the insulation, we secured pine paneling to the trailer walls and doors with screws, giving it a nice rustic look.
With my mother and uncle's help, we installed used RV windows vertically (found on ebay). It was significantly cheaper than having an RV dealership do the installation. The windows are a nice size and provide ventilation and natural light. 





For the ceiling we used rigid foam insulation and liquid nails. The cargo camper is a short little thing, no more than 5'5 in height. I didn't want to sacrifice anymore space with paneling so I got a little creative and decoupaged brown meijer grocery bags directly onto the insulation for a leather look. 


There are some details we left out of the pictures. My mother cut and measured trim for the windows and sealed all of the gaps between panels using caulk.  In the front of the camper, we cut a hole and added plug so that an extension cord could be run through to a solar panel system or directly to an electrical hookup, available at almost any rv campground.  The RV windows have a chain/latch system to hold them open vertically, The interior door has a handle, lock, and latch so that it can be  propped open when the weather is nice and locked from the inside at night. We added a corner shelf using plywood and basic brackets and an Ikea folding table for a desk/dining. There are handles below the shelves so that appliances, storage bins, and equipment can be secured using bungee cords. The curtains are custom with fabric from Joanns. 






There are still a few things to be done. In the future, I plan to mount a solar panel with a hook up to two golf cart batteries and install LED lighting. I would also like to install a simple grey water sink with hand pump. I would also like to paint the exterior of the camper but I haven't settled on a color or pattern yet. I hope you have enjoyed the process so far! Stay tuned for more changes to the "Gypsy Queen"!




13 comments:

  1. What type of rear door do you have on your trailer? Side-swing, or ramp-style? Trying to figure out a way to raise the ramp-style door on mine, to a closed, locked position. Thx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why not rig a pulley system with an anchor in the nose with a snap or caribiner so noone can pull it open on you, just padlock tge latch outside so noone locks you in

      Delete
  2. Great job sweety...I'm going to do the same thing. Looing for the trailer now..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rr....what do you mean to a closed locked position? Just latch it n lock it from the outside...or are trying to use the ramp as a door?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so love what you've done! I had plans for the same, but serious illness stopped me short. I'll be watching for updates!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so love what you've done! I had plans for the same, but serious illness stopped me short. I'll be watching for updates!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is a great camper, now if I can post mine, I built it 46 years ago to carry 2 1957 Harleys, now its a camper-utility, Harleys long gone, im 75 and enjoy my Prevost Liberty , the trailers i built-tear drop, box, one from 8 foot diameter culvert pipe.if this young lady could email me I would show her what I did, jrhandy1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job, how much does it weigh and what do you tow it with?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have done a great job, I too build trailers tear drop, box, custom t.v., motorhomes, I would like to send u photos of my 43 year old utility-camper conversion box trailer I completely built and still use, almost more fun than my Prevost Liberty, jrhandy1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi send me an email ill send you some photos of my conversion, I build tear drops, box trailer conversion , Prevost Liberty, MCI custom, jrhandy1@gmail.com nice trailer you built,, JR

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! Starting into my project now on a 6x6x10 utility trailer! Really appreciate your detail on cutting windows and laying the floor. Any progress to your electric system? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete